Search This Blog

Friday, September 13, 2013

Author Interview With D. L Dunaway

D. L Dunaway

We would like to offer a warm welcome to Author D.L Dunaway for stopping by our page for a Q&A session this morning!!! 

D.LDunaway:Goodmorningeveryone!! Leave No Book Behind: What was your favorite part when writing Bound By Blood And Brimstone? D.L Dunaway: The scene with cousin Melvin. Melvin was unfortunate enough to get under Ember Mae's skin, and the ensuing vengeance was fun to write!                                                                                         Leave No Book Behind: What inspired you to write a novel that deals with the consequences of bullying?D.L Dunaway: Even under the best of circumstances, childhood is tough. Any child who is "different" in any way is subject to contact with someone who notices that difference. Children can be the cruelest of creatures with their own. I wanted to play with this scenario to see how far it could go. Leave No Book Behind: If I wasn't afraid, I would __________. (What) D.L Dunaway: Devote myself to a career of writing full-time. Leave No Book Behind: What is the best thing you have done in your life?D.L Dunaway: The best thing I've ever done was having my daughter. I had her late in life at a time when most "normal" people are already grandparents. She was my miracle and has changed my life for the better in too many ways to count. Leave No Book Behind: List 3 adjectives to describe yourself. D.L Dunaway: Sensitive, Compassionate, Introverted.  Leave No Book Behind: If you were to create a slogan for your life, what would it be? D.L Dunaway: You never know what you can accomplish until you try. Leave No Book Behind: Who are your favorite authors and how have they inspired your writing? D.L Dunaway: Stephen King, Dean Koontz, and Silas House. The first two are the darker side of the third. The combination of eerie suspense and House's sense of place stirs my imagination. Leave No Book Behind: If you were stranded on a deserted island and could only have one item with you, what would it be? D.L Dunaway: I would most certainly die quickly of dehydration because my one item would be a book! Leave No Book Behind: Why did you decide to use West Virginia as the setting for your story?D.L Dunaway: The geography and culture in the West Virginia mountains is a carbon copy of my Eastern Kentucky home. It's a unique culture I'm proud of, rich in history, music, violence, and scandal.Leave No Book Behind: How did you come up with the names for the sisters?  D.L Dunaway: With Ember Mae, I liked the idea of the potential of a smoldering ember. From dormancy, if fed the right ingredients, it can ignite into a flame of great intensity. With Lorrie Beth, I simply liked the sound of the name.  Leave No Book Behind: Would you ever like to see any of your books ( present/future) turned into a movie and if so who would play the characters? D.L Dunaway: Oh I would LOVE to see this made into a movie! I can't begin to say who could play the characters because their images are so firmly ingrained in my mind. Hopefully, they would be talented and physically similar. I hate when movies based on books cast actors who look nothing like the described characters. Leave No Book Behind: Were any of the scenes in the book written from your personal life experiences? D.L Dunaway: No, but one in particular was heavily influenced by an encounter my mother had
as a young girl. She was a spitfire (and still is). A boy at school had tormented her without mercy. The end result was a confrontation in which the boy was seriously injured by my mom's dead-eye shot with a perfectly aimed rock. She started school the following Monday at a new location! A scene from my book is similar but winds up quite differently. Leave No Book Behind: Someday I want to __________. (What) D.L Dunaway: Someday I want to write the kind of books that create long lines at the bookstores. Nothing thrills me more than to learn someone has read my work and truly enjoyed it! Leave No Book Behind: Can you tell me about your next project?  D.L Dunaway: It's psychological thriller involving a woman who winds up fighting for her sanity. Leave No Book Behind: Well, thank you for stopping by and spending some time with us. It was a pleasure, and feel free to stop by anytime!! D. L Dunaway: Your very welcome, and the pleasure was all mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here